Is your daughter more anxious over maths than your son? Blame gendered stereotypes about mathematics as well as anxiety of both teachers and parents, finds a study. While mathematics is often considered a hard subject, not all difficulties with the subject result from cognitive difficulties. Many children and adults experience feelings of anxiety, apprehension, tension or discomfort when confronted with a maths problem. The study, led by researchers from the University of Cambridge, showed that maths anxiety is seen more in girls than boys. The gender gap stems from the gendered stereotypes about the ability to crack maths. Primary-aged children noted that they had been confused by different teaching methods, while secondary students commented on poor interpersonal relations with their math teachers. Secondary students indicated that the transition from primary to secondary school had been a cause of maths anxiety, as the work seemed harder and they could not cope.
New Delhi: It was a cool Thursday morning in the city, with the minimum temperature settling at 18.7 degrees Celsius, normal for the season. Partly cloudy skies are forecast for later part of the day with the maximum temperature settling around 39 degrees Celsius, said a MeT department official. Humidity was 69 percent at 8.30 AM, he said. The maximum and minimum temperatures were recorded at 17.6 and 36.8 degrees Celsius, respectively, on Wednesday.
Shimla: The crunchy delicious Himachal apples will hit the markets nearly three months later. But, there are fears that the next crop could be little distasteful for the BJP.In the election time, trouble is brewing in the state’s apple belt. Hundreds of apple growers duped by the commission agents also called as ‘arthiyas’ are up in the arms against the state government and its bodies – Agriculture Produce Marketing Committees (APMCs) for apathy towards their plights. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The Commission agents (middlemen) have not paid nearly Rs 100 crore to the growers in lieu of their produce i.e., apple boxes sold to the outside buyers and traders at different marketing yards, run by the APMC. “The next season is in the offing but farmers don’t have money to buy inputs and undertake orchard operations. This is a crucial time for apple growers. But, poor farmers are making around of the commission agents. Some farmers have turned penniless,” alleged Sanjay Chauhan, a former Shimla Mayor, who is organising farmers’ struggle for their rights. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KThe state with its Rs 3,500 crore apple economy – which forms 49 per cent of total fruit production in the state, is bound to have an impact on the elections if the growers resort to agitation. Kisan Sangrah Samiti –a body of the farmers backed by CPM leaders, including Sanjay Chauhan, has already given a call for protest in Shimla on April 22. Chauhan has held a series of meetings with the affected farmers at Kotkhai, Rohru and other places —all parts of Shimla Parliamentary constituency. As par Agriculture Marketing Act, the commission agents are accountable for all payments, which accrue to the farmers for the produce sold at the designated marketing places. The commission agents have to take bank guarantees from the wholesale buyers. This is a preventive clause to protect the interests of the farmers. ‘At the fall of the hammer, the buyer has to clear his payments before he takes away the produce. The responsibility lies on the commission agents to pay to the grower. But there is corrupt nexus between the Commission agents, buyers and also those heading the APMCs to dupe the poor growers,” Chauhan says. During state assembly’s budget session, CPM MLA Rakesh Singha and BJP MLA Balbir Verma raised the issue of non-payments for the product to the apple growers. The government admitted that the growers have been left high and dry. The government, however, promised to ensure that all payments and arrears are cleared by March 31, 2019. This has not happened yet. Currently, there are around 91 FIRs registered by the apple growers at different police stations. The amount involved runs in crores. The anger is building-up steadily in the areas known for apple growing. Out of 12 districts in the state, seven are growing apples having more than 1.70 lakh families engaged in the apple cultivation. CPM MLA Rakesh Singha says it’s a new case of farmers distress.The government is not doing anything to stop the loot. The farmers are sole victims.”
Jatara (MP): Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said no farmer will be jailed for not repaying loan and 22 lakh youth will be provided government jobs in a year if his party comes to power at the Centre.Hitting out at Narendra Modi, Gandhi said that after completion of half of the Lok Sabha poll process, the Prime Minister’s face has “withered”, and claimed the PM will lose the elections and Congress would come to power. Addressing a rally here in Tikamgarh district of Bundelkhand region in Madhya Pradesh, Gandhi again targeted Modi over the controversial Rafale jet deal and blamed the NDA government’s decisions of demonetisation and implementation of GST for “large-scale unemployment” in the country. “When the Congress comes to power in 2019, no farmer will be sent to jail for not repaying bank loans,” Gandhi said, while promising to provide government jobs to 22 lakh youth in one year and recruit 10 lakh youth in panchayats. He said if the Congress comes to power, it will bring a provision of “no permission” for first three years to those starting new businesses. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh”There will be no need to take any government permission for youth to run any business for initial three years,” he said. Gandhi claimed the prime minister was speaking with “fear and hesitation”. “Look at Narendra Modi’s face. Half of the election is over. Modi is going to be defeated, his face is withered. He is speaking with hesitation and fear. The Congress is forming the (next) government,” he said. “And remember one thing, the money he stole from our Air Force in the Rafale scam and gave Rs 30,000 crore to Ambani…action will be taken and you will see two names will come out one Anil Ambani and second Narendra Modi,” he said. He said lakhs of youth lost jobs due to demonetisation and GST as production in factories stopped because of lack of demand in the market. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadHe said the Congress will deposit Rs 3.6 lakh in bank accounts of five crore poor families in five years, “unlike Modi who promised Rs 15 lakh to them but did not deposit a single penny”. He claimed that the party’s proposed ‘NYAY’ poverty alleviation scheme would “jump-start” the Indian economy. “I am not here to speak lies. Our NYAY scheme will jump start the economy. The Congress government will deposit Rs 3.6 lakh in the bank accounts of each poor family in five years,” he said. “Modi gave crores to 15 rich people of the country…and you were told to stand in queues while he termed demonetisation as a fight against black money….” Gandhi said.
China’s retreat from providing international protection for Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar and its patron Islamabad, marks a milestone in the political and diplomatic war on terror with potential reverberations beyond the subcontinent. For a decade, Azhar was cast as the touchstone of Pakistan-China friendship and flag-bearer in a proxy war on India. That finally ended on Wednesday when Beijing wilted under growing international pressure and revulsion towards terrorism and agreed to the Security Council sanctions committee branding him the terrorist he is. Also Read – A special kind of bondTotally isolating them, none of the other 191 other members of the UN – including some who advocate “your-terrorist-is-my-freedom-fighter” policy in other cases – had joined Pakistan and China in backing Azhar. India’s Permanent Representative Syed Akbaruddin said that India’s persistent “subterranean” diplomacy helped achieve this. Now the next milestone in the political and diplomatic war on terror – it is still only that and not an all-out war – will be a global one if that consensus against terrorism can be extended to the Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism that was proposed by India in 1996. Also Read – Insider threat managementWork on it has been stuck on the most basic issue – defining terrorism, with some making a false distinction between “freedom-fighters” and terrorists. It escapes them that the mark of terrorism is the method – the wanton killing of civilians including children – and not the ideology. Arriving on a consensus on the convention is the challenge before Sri Lanka’s Permanent Representative Rohan Perera who heads the UN’s working group on eliminating international terrorism. China’s turnabout, despite its words of sympathy for Islamabad, may force Pakistan to take a long-overdue inward look at its policy of classifying terrorists as bad and good – those creating mayhem within the country and those in India. That schizophrenic policy has taken a toll on Pakistan, whose diplomats like to point out that their country has suffered the most from Islamist terror. Yet Islamabad – or specifically its military overlord – was willing to pay the price to keep its army of proxies. For the world, that was too high a price. Pakistan’s strategic doctrine that its nuclear weapons provided immunity against Indian retaliation against its war by terror was tested in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack in February that killed more than 40 Central Reserve Police Force personnel. While that attack itself stung the world, the Indian air retaliation against terror camps and Pakistan’s counter-attack in which an Indian plane was downed showed the international community how fragile the situation is. China had reluctantly gone along with a Security Council press statement condemning the Pulwama attack, which was short of a formal resolution, and it was expected that it might relent on Azhar. But it vetoed in March for the fourth time his listing as a terrorist by the sanctions committee that deals with Al Qaeda, the Islamic State and their affiliates. That re-energised the US, Britain and France to pursue the option of having the Security Council itself declare him a terrorist under sanctions of financial freeze and travel ban. They circulated a US draft resolution and lobbied hard, with Washington declaring it will utilise all available resources. If that resolution were to come up, China would have had to publicly veto it and defend Azhar, which probably gave it pause. China had claimed that it was not convinced by the evidence that Azhar was connected to terrorism, but suddenly it said the evidence it rejected was now convincing. Besides its ties with India, the Afghanistan developments were another incentive for Washington. With negotiations taking place with the Taliban for a settlement, the US would want a complete wind-down of terrorism in the region to protect Afghanistan, and also to ensure that Pakistan does not turn its other proxies fighting Afghanistan towards India. As for China, it was time to recognise its own risks. It has an Islamist terror problem in the Uighar region and beyond, and its support to JeM and Azhar was not buying it goodwill with them. As its One Road, One Belt initiative advances, Beijing will have to ensure the safety of its multi-billion-dollar investments along with it, while ensuring that pan-Islamist terror does not ply the road. Already, China has faced terror attacks in Pakistan, where its workers and resources have been targeted and even its consulate in Karachi attacked last year. Under these circumstances, it had to come out openly against all forms of terrorism if it were to credibly protect its investments elsewhere and even itself. This was the moment for it. Even afar in Sri Lanka, where it has billions invested and loaned, China saw Islamist terrorism’s potential to disrupt the island’s stability with consequences for it. And no doubt, the Sri Lanka suicide bomb massacres on Easter sunday added to the international community’s pressure on China. Sanctions committee chair Dian Triansyah Djani, a soft-spoken Indonesian diplomat with a self-deprecating sense of humour, was able to deftly coalesce these developments into a consensus against Azhar. In the subcontinent, Pakistan now faces the stark choice of complying with the sanctions against Azhar – and those imposed earlier on JeM and Lashkar-e-Tayyiba – or continuing to defy international opinion, perhaps by even spawning new proxies. Perhaps if China has had a true change of heart, it could move Islamabad away from the proxy war. Then in a post-election India, there may be an opportunity for a fresh start having met New Delhi’s prime condition of abandoning terrorism. (The views expressed are strictly personal)
NEW DELHI: AAP national convenor and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday asked the residents of North East Delhi if they have ever seen the face of BJP MP Manoj Tiwari. The Chief Minister held a road show which started from Sonia Vihar in support of AAP candidate Dilip Pandey. “In the last five years has Manoj Tiwari shown his face to you? Dilip Pandey is still not an MP but everyone here already knows him,” said the Delhi CM.The CM added that despite the fact that Pandey is not yet an MP he kept working for the residents of North East Delhi. “If you knock his door at night 2 PM he will respond. He does not know only one thing, he can not dance like Manoj Tiwari,” said Arvind Kejriwal. He added that Tiwari is a good dancer but Pandey is a person of work. “This time do not vote for a person who is a good dancer but vote for a person who will do the work for the people,” said the CM. He also said that in this election people should vote for the party which has worked in the sectors of education, health and other development works. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesHe waved and smiled at the crowd as his open vehicles surrounded by hundreds of supporters passed through the narrow lanes of East Delhi neighbourhoods. Delhi Chief Minister took an e-rickshaw at Patparganj to hold the roadshow in the narrower lanes of the area. Kejriwal would be holding roadshows for all the seven candidates in Delhi. On Sunday, he would take out a roadshow in West Delhi, on May 6 in North-West Delhi and on May 8 in New Delhi Lok Sabha seat. Delhi will be voting in the sixth phase of the Lok Sabha elections on May 12.
Brisbane: Will Young stroked a masterful 130 to steer an under-strength New Zealand to a seven-wicket win over Australia in a World Cup practice match Wednesday, outshining a classy unbeaten 89 from Steve Smith. The visitors chased down their 278 target with 10 balls to spare, inflicting the first one-day defeat on Australia in 10 games, although this was not counted as a full international. Young, who is uncapped and not part of New Zealand’s World Cup squad, was eventually run out after smacking 11 fours and two sixes in his 132-ball knock. George Worker (56) and Tom Latham (69 not out) were also among the runs as New Zealand, missing Kane Williamson, Martin Guptill and Trent Boult, made 283 for three in reply to Australia’s 277 for six. Australian pace spearhead Mitchell Starc made his long-awaited return from injury and was the pick of a lacklustre bowling attack, taking 2-14 off five overs with trademark yorkers before being withdrawn from the action. It was his first match back since tearing a muscle three months ago. Earlier, former skipper Smith was the star attraction with his 89, including four big sixes, in only his second game in Australian colours since his one-year ban for ball-tampering expired. He came to the crease when Shaun Marsh was out for 28 and was in fine touch in a major boost for Australia ahead of their World Cup defence in England. Usman Khawaja and Glenn Maxwell were also in form, scoring 56 and 52 respectively. But David Warner, who made 39 on his return from the “Sandpapergate” scandal in the first of the three unofficial matches in Brisbane on Monday, did not fare so well.
Casablanca- King Mohammed VI has recently granted plots of land to five members of Casablanca’s Raja football team, according to daily Assabah’s issue of Tuesday, March 18. King Mohammed VI recently granted five Raja football players plots of land, of 300 m2 each, in reward for their achievements for Morocco during the Fifa Club World Cup 2013.In the run up to the final, after a string of victories, the Green Team qualified to play the final match against Bayern Munchen. Raja was the first African team ever to qualify for the FCWC final. According to daily Assabah, the Royal Cabinet informed the five Raja players that the Moroccan sovereign had decided to grant each of them a plot of land worth MAD 150,000. Although Raja lost the final match to Bayern Munchen, its qualification to the final was deemed “a historical event,”and all Moroccans across the kingdom celebrated Raja’s unprecedented achievement. In contrast, the 2014 CAF Champions League was not as successful for the Raja team as the FCWC 2013. The Eagles were eliminated in the second round by the Guinean team, Horoya Conakry.Edited by Elisabeth Myers© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed
Rabat – Moroccan Minister of State, Abdellah Baha, died on Sunday in Rabat.The influential leader of the Party of Justice and Development was hit by a passing train while he was checking the same location where Ahmed Zaidi, one of the charismatic leaders of the USFP, died last month.Earlier in the afternoon, the same source said that the right hand of Abdelilah Benkirane, the head of the government, had a serious car accident. Mr. Baha has served as deputy secretary general of the Justice and Development Party (PJD), since 2004. He was MP for Rabat for three consecutive terms, beginning in the 2002 legislative elections.This native of Souss was vice-speaker of the House of Representatives (2007), Head of PJD Group (2003/2006) and President of the Commission of Justice, Legislation and Human Rights (2002/2003).Member of the Executive Office of the uniqueness and Reform Movement (MUR), he was director of publication of the daily “Attajdid”, as well as “Al Islah” and “Arraya.” He was 60 years old.
Rabat – Two Brazilians men and a Mexican were arrested on Wednesday for their alleged involvement in a robbery case in a bank in Casablanca, Morocco’s largest city.According to H24, the General Directorate of National Security said in a statement on Friday that one of the defendants, a Mexican, was arrested on the scene after seizing a plastic suitcase that an agent of a money transfer company had deposited. The suitcase contained over $2,000.The same source said that the other accomplices managed to flee before they were arrested while trying to leave the country. “The intense police investigations and the transmission of an international arrest warrant against other accomplices led to the arrest on the same day of two Brazilians aged 41 and 34 respectively while trying to leave the country at the Port of Tangier-Med,” the statement said.The suspects have been placed in custody pending the completion of the investigation under the supervision of the competent public prosecutor.© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed without permission