2 middle-aged brothers shot on street in Pacoima

first_imgPACOIMA – A gunman shot two middle-aged brothers on the street early Sunday morning, leaving one dead, police said. Albert Rushing, 63, died not far from his brother, Monroe Brazil, 51, after being shot several times around 2:50 a.m. near the corner of Donfield and Vaughn avenues. The shooting does not appear to be gang-related, said Sgt. Orlando Chandler of the LAPD’s Foothill Division. But police are looking for someone seen leaving the scene in a newer model black vehicle with tinted windows. Anyone with questions or information is asked to contact Foothill Homicide Detective Martinez or detective Brownell at (818) 834-3115 or (818) 756-8861, during normal business hours or call after hours at 1-877-LAW-FULL (529-3855). 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Getty Museum sends artifacts to Italy as part of agreement

first_imgOne of the works was a highly prized vase attributed to the 5th century B.C. Greek painter Euphronios. The delivery was the first since Getty Director Michael Brand signed a deal with Rutelli last week to return 40 contested artifacts from the Getty’s Los Angeles collection that Italy says were looted from its territory. The Getty has always denied knowingly buying illegally obtained objects, and Italy’s deal with the museum includes no admission of guilt. It calls for all but one of the treasures to be transferred to Italy by year’s end. The last and most prized work, a 5th century B.C. statue of the goddess Aphrodite, will remain at the Getty until 2010. In exchange, Italy will lend the Los Angeles museum other artifacts for up to four years each. The agreement also provides for cultural cooperation, including research projects and joint exhibitions. The four objects returned Tuesday include a red-figured ceramic vase known as a kantharos, with masks of Dionysus and a satyr. The work, which is believed to date from 480 B.C., is attributed to the great painter Euphronios. Another Euphronios work, a large vase, was at the heart of Italy’s negotiations with Metropolitan Museum in New York over its disputed antiquities. In addition to the Euphronios, the other Getty artifacts include a fragment of a wall fresco from the 1st century B.C. depicting Hercules; an Etruscan terra cotta statue from the 5th century B.C.; and a vase depicting a garden scene dating from 350 B.C. and attributed to the potter Asteas. Former Getty curator Marion True is on trial in Rome accused of knowingly acquiring ancient treasures that Italy maintains were stolen or unearthed illegally and smuggled out of the country. True denies wrongdoing. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Nicole Winfield THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ROME – Four prized artifacts from the J. Paul Getty Museum in California returned to Italy on Tuesday, the first of 40 works to be handed over by the Getty as a result of Italy’s efforts to recover antiquities it says were looted and sold to museums. Culture Minister Francesco Rutelli announced that the four works, which he said were insured for $427 million, would be distributed to Italian museums. last_img read more

Digging into earthquakes

first_img“For the very first time, scientists can hold the San Andreas Fault in their hands,” said Mark Zoback, a professor of earth sciences and geophysics at Stanford University. “It’s a new beginning for several different areas of earthquake research.” Researchers aren’t optimistic that the dark-gray chunks of rock will help them predict when the Big One is about to occur. But they will now know exactly what the fault is made of, which they hope will answer questions about the mechanics of earthquakes. Hundreds of scientists from around the world are expected to submit requests to study the samples, yet it will likely be years before they understand what the rocks have to say about the physics of earthquakes. “The ultimate goal is to understand how faults work,” Ellsworth said. The drilling occurred about 23 miles northeast of Paso Robles near the small town of Parkfield. The site was selected because it’s an especially active part of the San Andreas Fault that moves regularly but does not produce large earthquakes. There is no risk of the drilling itself causing a massive temblor. Researchers can already see from the samples that chunks of serpentine are embedded within them. Serpentine is a green mineral that scientists have long suspected might be one of the reasons why that stretch of the San Andreas Fault silently creeps. But it had never been proved that the substance was indeed in the fault. Scientists wonder if the serpentine – which is California’s official state rock – has been smoothing the way for huge tectonic plates to slide silently past one another. During the next phase of the project, scientists will create the world’s first underground earthquake observatory that is within an active fault. They will lower into it a number of seismic instruments that will await and observe dozens of small earthquakes and their aftershocks over the next 10 to 20 years. That phase of the project could help scientists determine whether earthquakes are predictable.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Why do earthquakes start? How do they stop? What is the fault made of? Scientists believe that by studying the new rock samples they’ll be able to come up with answers for some of the tough questions that have eluded them for years. “This for us is really the mother lode,” said William Ellsworth, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park. “They’re more precious than moon rocks and gold.” The samples, taken from 21/2 miles beneath the surface of the San Andreas Fault, are the first rocks ever to be obtained from deep within an actively moving fault zone responsible for some of the world’s most damaging earthquakes. The project, with a budget of about $25 million, has been 15 years in the making. After drilling close to the fault in 2004 and 2005, geologists worked 24 hours a day, seven days a week last summer to retrieve 135 feet of rock cores, each measuring four inches in diameter. The last of the samples was brought to the surface in the pre-dawn hours of Sept. 7. The scientists unveiled the rock samples Thursday. By Julie Sevrens Lyons SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS After drilling more than two miles into the ground in a remote area of central California, scientists said Thursday they have hit pay dirt – the first rocks ever to be obtained from deep within the San Andreas Fault. Experts believe the cylindrical samples, which have been washed, shrink-wrapped and gently tucked away in refrigerators for safekeeping, may hold many secrets about earthquakes and the 800-mile-long fault line responsible for the Bay Area’s devastating 1906 earthquake. last_img read more

Coral Daily Download – Arsenal to gun down Manchester United at Old Trafford?

first_imgSimon Clare joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.The Coral spokesman previews Monday night’s massive FA Cup clash between Manchester United and Arsenal and says the Gunners, 2-1 for the victory, may be worth backing.He also reveals Liverpool are still favourites for FA Cup glory despite being held to a goalless draw by Blackburn in their quarter-final at Anfield on Sunday.And he looks ahead to the Cheltenham Festival, which kicks off on Tuesday.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfastlast_img read more

Arsenal v Liverpool: Mesut Ozil returns for Gunners, Daniel Sturridge on bench for visitors

first_imgArsenal and Liverpool both made three changes for Saturday afternoon’s crunch Premier League clash.Mesut Ozil returned for the Gunners in place of Danny Welbeck, who dropped to the bench after suffering a slight knee injury during England’s European Championship qualifier against Lithuania.Per Mertesacker and Hector Bellerin also came into the side, with Gabriel Paulista and Calum Chambers missing out.For Liverpool, Kole Toure was drafted into the starting XI in place of the suspended Martin Skrtel.Lazar Markovic and Lucas also returned, with Daniel Sturridge dropping to the bench and the injured Adam Lallana not included in the matchday squad.Arsenal, sitting third in the Premier League, headed into the game six points clear of fifth-placed Liverpool.A victory for the Gunners would see them move above Manchester City and into second, while the visitors would close to within two points of the final Champions League qualification places with a win in north London.TEAMS:Liverpool – Starting XI: Mignolet, Can, Toure, Sakho, Allen, Lucas, Moreno, Henderson, Coutinho, Markovic, Sterling. Subs:  Jones, Johnson, Lovren, Sturridge, Manquillo, Borini, BrannaganArsenal – Starting XI: Ospina, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis, Giroud. Subs: Macey, Gibbs, Gabriel, Flamini, Rosicky, Walcott, Welbeck 1 Mesut Ozil last_img read more

Reports – Chelsea told £47.3m can land top La Liga star

first_img Antoine Griezmann in action for Atletico Madrid 1 Chelsea target Antoine Griezmann has a release clause of £47.3m in his contract, according to reports in Spain.Spanish newspaper Marca believe Griezmann, who was recently named La Liga player of the month in April, will be allowed to leave for a fee just short of £50m, with the release clause unlikely to be altered.The 24-year-old French international, who joined Atlético Madrid for £24m from Real Sociedad in August last year, has notched 22 goals in 34 La Liga appearances this campaign – more than Neymar, Luis Suarez, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema.Griezmann, who made his international debut for France against the Netherlands in March last year, has scored five goals in 16 appearances for Les Bleus and has also attracted interest from Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich.It appears Mourinho will have to move quickly to fend off the interest from fellow European giants, though if the move goes ahead, an attacking trio of Griezmann, Eden Hazard and Diego Costa would give Premier League defenders many a sleepless night.last_img read more