22 days agoCrouch questions Liverpool nerves after RB Salzburg win

first_imgCrouch questions Liverpool nerves after RB Salzburg winby Ansser Sadiq22 days agoSend to a friendShare the lovePeter Crouch has questioned Liverpool’s nerves after Wednesday’s 4-3 win over RB Salzburg in the Champions League.The European champions blew a three-goal lead at Anfield when Erling Braud Haaland equalised for the visitors.And Crouch says the performance was “absolutely mental” from his former side.”It was mental, absolutely mental,” Crouch said on BT Sport.”Liverpool were flying, playing some of the best attacking football I have seen from them this season. And then the second half, I don’t even know where to begin. 3-3, I just couldn’t have seen it, and then Salah pops up with the winner.”An incredible match, highly entertaining, but for the wrong reasons for Liverpool in the end. They got a bit nervy Liverpool, you have to say.”Once the first goal went in, then the second, Fabinho, whose normally so calm on the ball, was passing it out of play, they weren’t as intricate as they were in the first half.”So it definitely affected them but the fourth goal killed them off and then they controlled the game and managed it out.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Oscars 2017 Ryan Gosling Denis Villeneuve are Oscar nominees

first_imgAdvertisement Advertisement Facebook Canadians Denis Villeneuve and Ryan Gosling are headed to the Academy Awards, with La La Land, Arrival and Moonlight leading a more inclusive field of Oscars nominees than in recent years.Contenders for the world’s most prominent film awards were announced in Hollywood this morning. La La Land leads overall with 14 nominations, tying the record previously set by Titanic and All About Eve.Gosling, who is working with Villeneuve on the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, called him this morning, the Quebec filmmaker said. “We wanted to congratulate each other,” Villeneuve told reporters in a conference call on Tuesday afternoon.“This is just joy for us,” he added. “We are proud of each other, as friends.” Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Twitterlast_img read more

Amazon says it received 238 proposals for 2nd headquarters

first_imgNEW YORK, N.Y. – Amazon said today that it received 238 proposals from cities and regions in the United States, Canada and Mexico hoping to be the home of the company’s second headquarters.The online retailer kicked off its hunt for a second home base in September, promising to bring 50,000 new jobs and spend more than $5 billion on construction.Proposals were due last week, and Amazon made clear that tax breaks and grants would be a big deciding factor on where it chooses to land.Amazon.com Inc. did not list which cities or metro areas applied, but said the proposals came from 43 U.S. states, as well as Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, three Mexican states and six Canadian provinces.Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Halifax and Calgary are some of the Canadian cities that submitted proposals.Besides looking for financial incentives, Amazon had stipulated that it was seeking to be near a metropolitan area with more than a million people; be able to attract top technical talent; be within 45 minutes of an international airport; have direct access to mass transit; and be able to expand that headquarters to more than 740,000 square metres in the next decade.Generous tax breaks and other incentives can erode a city’s tax base. For the winner, it could be worth it, since an Amazon headquarters could draw other tech businesses and their well-educated, highly paid employees.In New Jersey, Republican Gov. Chris Christie has endorsed Newark’s bid, saying the state and the city are planning nearly $7 billion in tax breaks. Detroit bid organizers have said its proposal offers Amazon the unique chance to set up shop in both the U.S. and Canada. Missouri officials proposed an innovation corridor between Kansas City and St. Louis rather than a single location.The seven U.S. states that Amazon said did not apply were: Arkansas, Hawaii, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming.Ahead of the deadline, some cities turned to stunts to try and stand out: Representatives from Tucson, Arizona, sent a 21-foot tall cactus to Amazon’s Seattle headquarters; New York lit the Empire State Building orange to match Amazon’s smile logo.The company plans to remain in its sprawling Seattle headquarters, and the second one will be “a full equal” to it, founder and CEO Jeff Bezos said in September. Amazon has said that it will announce a decision sometime next year.last_img read more

No farmer to be jailed for loan default: Rahul

first_imgJatara (MP): Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said no farmer will be jailed for not repaying loan and 22 lakh youth will be provided government jobs in a year if his party comes to power at the Centre.Hitting out at Narendra Modi, Gandhi said that after completion of half of the Lok Sabha poll process, the Prime Minister’s face has “withered”, and claimed the PM will lose the elections and Congress would come to power. Addressing a rally here in Tikamgarh district of Bundelkhand region in Madhya Pradesh, Gandhi again targeted Modi over the controversial Rafale jet deal and blamed the NDA government’s decisions of demonetisation and implementation of GST for “large-scale unemployment” in the country. “When the Congress comes to power in 2019, no farmer will be sent to jail for not repaying bank loans,” Gandhi said, while promising to provide government jobs to 22 lakh youth in one year and recruit 10 lakh youth in panchayats. He said if the Congress comes to power, it will bring a provision of “no permission” for first three years to those starting new businesses. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh”There will be no need to take any government permission for youth to run any business for initial three years,” he said. Gandhi claimed the prime minister was speaking with “fear and hesitation”. “Look at Narendra Modi’s face. Half of the election is over. Modi is going to be defeated, his face is withered. He is speaking with hesitation and fear. The Congress is forming the (next) government,” he said. “And remember one thing, the money he stole from our Air Force in the Rafale scam and gave Rs 30,000 crore to Ambani…action will be taken and you will see two names will come out one Anil Ambani and second Narendra Modi,” he said. He said lakhs of youth lost jobs due to demonetisation and GST as production in factories stopped because of lack of demand in the market. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadHe said the Congress will deposit Rs 3.6 lakh in bank accounts of five crore poor families in five years, “unlike Modi who promised Rs 15 lakh to them but did not deposit a single penny”. He claimed that the party’s proposed ‘NYAY’ poverty alleviation scheme would “jump-start” the Indian economy. “I am not here to speak lies. Our NYAY scheme will jump start the economy. The Congress government will deposit Rs 3.6 lakh in the bank accounts of each poor family in five years,” he said. “Modi gave crores to 15 rich people of the country…and you were told to stand in queues while he termed demonetisation as a fight against black money….” Gandhi said.last_img read more

Smith’s classy 89 not enough as New Zealand win WC warm-up

first_imgBrisbane: Will Young stroked a masterful 130 to steer an under-strength New Zealand to a seven-wicket win over Australia in a World Cup practice match Wednesday, outshining a classy unbeaten 89 from Steve Smith. The visitors chased down their 278 target with 10 balls to spare, inflicting the first one-day defeat on Australia in 10 games, although this was not counted as a full international. Young, who is uncapped and not part of New Zealand’s World Cup squad, was eventually run out after smacking 11 fours and two sixes in his 132-ball knock. George Worker (56) and Tom Latham (69 not out) were also among the runs as New Zealand, missing Kane Williamson, Martin Guptill and Trent Boult, made 283 for three in reply to Australia’s 277 for six. Australian pace spearhead Mitchell Starc made his long-awaited return from injury and was the pick of a lacklustre bowling attack, taking 2-14 off five overs with trademark yorkers before being withdrawn from the action. It was his first match back since tearing a muscle three months ago. Earlier, former skipper Smith was the star attraction with his 89, including four big sixes, in only his second game in Australian colours since his one-year ban for ball-tampering expired. He came to the crease when Shaun Marsh was out for 28 and was in fine touch in a major boost for Australia ahead of their World Cup defence in England. Usman Khawaja and Glenn Maxwell were also in form, scoring 56 and 52 respectively. But David Warner, who made 39 on his return from the “Sandpapergate” scandal in the first of the three unofficial matches in Brisbane on Monday, did not fare so well.last_img read more