2012 First Contact Sports and Cultural Festival

first_imgThe 19th annual First Contact Sports and Cultural Festival will take place at Whites Hill Reserve, Brisbane on Saturday, 24 and Sunday, 25 November 2012. It will be a big two days of Touch Football as well as other entertainment, with plenty of additional aspects of the festival taking place alongside the Touch Football tournament. As well as the Men’s and Mixed Touch Football competitions, there will also be a number of exhibition games, including an Australian indigenous versus New Zealand Maori game and an invitational Papua New Guinea Men’s team versus an invitational Indigenous Men’s team. There will be plenty to see and do throughout the weekend, with free kids rides, cultural stalls and entertainment, while on the field the teams will be battling it out for $30,000 in prizes and trophies. For more information about the event, please visit the First Contact website:http://www.firstcontact.asn.au/festival.htm Related LinksFirst Contactlast_img read more

a month agoSouthampton midfielder Romeu: We must bounce back against Portsmouth

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton midfielder Romeu: We must bounce back against Portsmouthby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton midfielder Oriol Romeu says they must bounce back from defeat to Bournemouth.Two first-half goals left Saints with it all to do after the interval and despite James Ward-Prowse’s penalty in an improved second-half display, it was not enough and Callum Wilson sealed things in stoppage time.Attentions now turn to the south coast derby on Tuesday night at Portsmouth, something which Romeu is relishing.“We have a massive one now ahead and we’re all very excited about that game to get back to winning feelings and sensations and to start building something good again.“There has to be a reaction surely now. We want to prove that we’re not a team that loses and does nothing about it.“We know how important it is, we know how tough it will be also over there but we players like those matches and we’re ready for it.“We want to get that very important win for us, for the fans and also for the club.” last_img read more

Amazon says it received 238 proposals for 2nd headquarters

first_imgNEW YORK, N.Y. – Amazon said today that it received 238 proposals from cities and regions in the United States, Canada and Mexico hoping to be the home of the company’s second headquarters.The online retailer kicked off its hunt for a second home base in September, promising to bring 50,000 new jobs and spend more than $5 billion on construction.Proposals were due last week, and Amazon made clear that tax breaks and grants would be a big deciding factor on where it chooses to land.Amazon.com Inc. did not list which cities or metro areas applied, but said the proposals came from 43 U.S. states, as well as Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, three Mexican states and six Canadian provinces.Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Halifax and Calgary are some of the Canadian cities that submitted proposals.Besides looking for financial incentives, Amazon had stipulated that it was seeking to be near a metropolitan area with more than a million people; be able to attract top technical talent; be within 45 minutes of an international airport; have direct access to mass transit; and be able to expand that headquarters to more than 740,000 square metres in the next decade.Generous tax breaks and other incentives can erode a city’s tax base. For the winner, it could be worth it, since an Amazon headquarters could draw other tech businesses and their well-educated, highly paid employees.In New Jersey, Republican Gov. Chris Christie has endorsed Newark’s bid, saying the state and the city are planning nearly $7 billion in tax breaks. Detroit bid organizers have said its proposal offers Amazon the unique chance to set up shop in both the U.S. and Canada. Missouri officials proposed an innovation corridor between Kansas City and St. Louis rather than a single location.The seven U.S. states that Amazon said did not apply were: Arkansas, Hawaii, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming.Ahead of the deadline, some cities turned to stunts to try and stand out: Representatives from Tucson, Arizona, sent a 21-foot tall cactus to Amazon’s Seattle headquarters; New York lit the Empire State Building orange to match Amazon’s smile logo.The company plans to remain in its sprawling Seattle headquarters, and the second one will be “a full equal” to it, founder and CEO Jeff Bezos said in September. Amazon has said that it will announce a decision sometime next year.last_img read more

Bravo pasta sauce seekers create can shortage at Giant Tiger stores

first_imgVANCOUVER – Bravo pasta sauce fans are stocking up on the product that’s reappeared in some Giant Tiger stores after Kraft Canada announced it would bring the recently discontinued sauce back for a limited time following social media outcry.While stores say they’re quickly running out of the pantry staple, die-hard fans hoping to buy a lifetime supply shouldn’t fret because more shipments will arrive soon.“My phone has not stopped ringing for the last two days,” said Richard McKay, owner of a Giant Tiger store in Sudbury, Ont.The store received about 4,000 cans on Nov. 27, which McKay said he put out on the floor that morning. By the evening, there wasn’t any left.It’s a similar scene in many of the other Giant Tiger stores reached by The Canadian Press. Employees said some customers would leave with one or two, while others bought in bulk.A Toronto-area store worker said their location received 144 cans on Tuesday and had less than two dozen left by Thursday morning.A Brampton, Ont., store employee said the initial 128 cans their location received and promptly sold out of was a test and they’re awaiting a “by far” bigger shipment for January.On Kraft Canada’s Facebook page, one Facebook user posted a photo showing a tower of more than a dozen flats of the sauce stacked that she said was in her home.“I’ll fill up my whole room with it,” she said in the accompanying post, asking the company to bring it back permanently.About 180,000 cans were shipped to Giant Tiger stores in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and P.E.I., said Alison Scarlett, a Giant Tiger spokeswoman, in an email. Certain stores in western provinces also received shipments, she said.Some home cooks expressed frustration at how quickly the product sold out at nearby locations, especially when the company first announced the sauce would arrive in stores Dec. 10 rather than late November.Kraft Canada did not respond to a request for comment, but the company answered consumer gripes on its Facebook account.The sauce’s return is a limited time offer and individual stores determine whether to stock it, the company said, encouraging sauce seekers to scour their local Giant Tiger’s flyers to find out when it’ll be available again if it’s currently sold out.Scarlett said some stores have sold out, but the company is doing its best to replenish supplies quickly.McKay said he expects to receive another shipment by Dec. 10. He initially ordered 6,000 cans, but is now trying to get even more.Though, McKay added, he’ll continue to limit customers to 12 cans per person.The discontinued sauce returned after a Welland, Ont., man started an online petition, saying Kraft Canada’s decision left him with beloved family recipes he’ll no longer be able to make.Nearly 11,000 people signed the petition urging the company to bring back the sauce and Kraft Canada announced in mid-November that it would make the product available for a limited time at Giant Tiger stores.It has yet to make a commitment to permanently reinstate the sauce, despite continuing consumer pressure.Follow @AleksSagan on Twitter.last_img read more

Uber restarts modified selfdriving testing in Toronto focused on AI

first_imgTORONTO — Uber Technologies Inc. says its self-driving vehicles have returned to the streets of Toronto in a modified program after it halted testing earlier this year when one of its autonomous vehicles struck and killed a pedestrian in Arizona.The company said Thursday that the limited relaunch of a few vehicles in the Toronto area will have a driver in control at all times and include a second operator as a precaution. The Arizona crash in March happened while an operator was streaming a television show and the vehicle was operating autonomously.Raquel Urtasun, chief scientist at Uber Advanced Technologies Group in Toronto, said in an interview that since the incident Uber has reviewed safety measures company-wide, including at the research group.“Since the tragic incident, ATG has been working, has really been looking at all of our processes and the way we develop the technology.”She said safety comes first and the company has looked to emphasize more simulations in autonomous development.“We have revamped all our offline testing such that we minimize the need for tests on the roads, and instead we leverage all of our data collection processes and we can test and create simulations so that we minimize the risks until the technology is ready.”The Toronto testing will focus on development and data collection for the company’s artificial intelligence systems including map building, more-so than testing the real-world self-driving capabilities of the vehicles, said Urtasun.Self-driving vehicles generally require high-definition road maps to operate and supplement the various on-board sensors. The company says it’s working to build technology that will allow map building in real-time to speed up the mapping process.Uber says it has also restarted testing in Pittsburgh, where vehicles will be operated in a fully autonomous mode with two safety operators, and in San Francisco where drivers will control the car similarly to the Toronto program.The company says it also plans to move its ATG research and development hub a couple kilometres west from its current base in Toronto’s MaRS Discovery District tech hub as it plans to double the size of its AI research team to 100 next year. The growth of the AI research team is on top of plans announced in September to invest upwards of $200 million and hire 200 engineers in its first engineering facility in Canada. The Advanced Technologies Group will relocate to a mixed-use development under construction by RioCan called the Bathurst College Centre.Urtasun said the company hasn’t had problems with recruitment yet despite strong demand in the Toronto technology sector.“This is one of the fundamental problems that, you know, is going to influence the way we live in this century. So everybody’s very excited to be working in self-driving.”Ian Bickis, The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Caribou Road Services Ltd passes the torch to Argo Road Maintenance

first_imgPOUCE COUPE, B.C. – August 1st, 2019 Argo Road Maintenance will be continuing maintenance on the South Peace roads for the Region.Caribou Road Services Ltd time working the area spanned 15 years as they shared on their FB Page they successfully battled blinding snowstorms, bitterly cold temperatures, snowdrifts, mud, huge ‘200-year’ flood events, forest fires, droughts, and just about everything in between.The company shares further their gratitude to their employees by acknowledging their hard work and team spirit and sharing ‘We are proud of what we have accomplished together.’ The new contractor Argo Road Maintenance uses social media platforms and can be found on Instagram @argoroads and Twitter @ArgoSouthPeaceTo view the website; CLICK HERE To view Caribou Road Services Ltd post; CLICK HERElast_img read more

Smith’s classy 89 not enough as New Zealand win WC warm-up

first_imgBrisbane: Will Young stroked a masterful 130 to steer an under-strength New Zealand to a seven-wicket win over Australia in a World Cup practice match Wednesday, outshining a classy unbeaten 89 from Steve Smith. The visitors chased down their 278 target with 10 balls to spare, inflicting the first one-day defeat on Australia in 10 games, although this was not counted as a full international. Young, who is uncapped and not part of New Zealand’s World Cup squad, was eventually run out after smacking 11 fours and two sixes in his 132-ball knock. George Worker (56) and Tom Latham (69 not out) were also among the runs as New Zealand, missing Kane Williamson, Martin Guptill and Trent Boult, made 283 for three in reply to Australia’s 277 for six. Australian pace spearhead Mitchell Starc made his long-awaited return from injury and was the pick of a lacklustre bowling attack, taking 2-14 off five overs with trademark yorkers before being withdrawn from the action. It was his first match back since tearing a muscle three months ago. Earlier, former skipper Smith was the star attraction with his 89, including four big sixes, in only his second game in Australian colours since his one-year ban for ball-tampering expired. He came to the crease when Shaun Marsh was out for 28 and was in fine touch in a major boost for Australia ahead of their World Cup defence in England. Usman Khawaja and Glenn Maxwell were also in form, scoring 56 and 52 respectively. But David Warner, who made 39 on his return from the “Sandpapergate” scandal in the first of the three unofficial matches in Brisbane on Monday, did not fare so well.last_img read more

Ohio State mens volleyball drops regular season finale 31 against No 1

Junior middle blocker Dustan Neary runs to return a ball during a game against Loyola (Chicago)April 11at St. John Arena. OSU lost, 3-1.Credit: Logan Hickman / Lantern photographerThe Ohio State men’s volleyball team couldn’t muster a win in its last regular season game.OSU ended its regular season schedule with a 3-1 loss against No. 1 Loyola (Chicago) Friday at St. John Arena.The Buckeyes (11-15, 6-8) took on the Ramblers (24-1, 14-0) Friday for the second time this season. The previous match also ended in a loss for the Buckeyes, as they fell, 3-0, Feb. 1 in Chicago.The Buckeye defense was strong throughout the match but could not hold its own against Loyola’s offense.Defensively, OSU doubled up Loyola in blocks, 10-5. Junior outside hitter Michael Henchy and junior middle blocker Dustan Neary — the reigning Men’s Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Defensive Player of the Week — led the way up front, each getting in on five blocks.Redshirt-junior setter Peter Heinen said the Ramblers played to their strengths of solid serving and scoring near the antennas throughout the game to come out on top.“Loyola has great service pressure and two of the best pin attackers in the country,” Heinen said, referring to sophomore Thomas Jaeschke and junior Cody Caldwell, who finished with 19 and 18 kills respectively.This season OSU has struggled getting all of the new players to work together, with eight freshmen and three redshirt-freshmen on the roster, and that has been a main issue this year, Heinen said.“We struggled with our consistency. That is going to happen when you have so many freshmen playing key roles, and we are still working to try and figure that out. When we have been able to put together a consistent effort from everyone on the floor, great things happen,” he said. “The ability is there, we just need to find a way to bring it every point.”Senior libero Michael Piechowski said another season-long struggle has been playing at a steady, high level.“Our struggle has been our consistency in matches and really staying aggressive against every opponent. As you know, our team is very young and we have a lot of freshmen. I would say our biggest improvement has been their ability to come ready to play and bring it,” he said.Senior middle blocker Jonathan Newton agreed, saying the players vary by matches.“Some games we will have one player playing good and another having an off game, and that has thrown us off during games. Like our coach said, we just need everyone to play the 80 percent level of good volleyball all the time and we will be able to beat anyone,” Newton said.OSU also celebrated its seniors in their last match of the regular season and in Columbus. The honored players included libero Danny Baker, Newton, Piechowski and Heinen, who will not be returning to OSU next year.Next up for the Buckeyes is the MIVA tournament, and their first match is set for Saturday against Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne in Fort Wayne, Ind. read more

Arsenal Legend reveals why he wishes he was still a player

first_imgFormer Arsenal midfielder and Nice manager Patrick Vieira has expressed his feelings over the attitude of striker Mario Balotelli.Patrick Vieira has had a reasonable start to life as Nice manager and the Italian has been a key member of his squad although he has struggled to find the back of the net this term.Vieira was appointed the manager of the French side in the summer and they are currently seventh place in Ligue 1 table, four points outside the Champions League places.In an interview with l’Equipe, as quoted in Football London, Vieira gave an astonishing response to questions about Balotelli and why he wished he was still a player.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…He said: “When it comes to Mario, I want to answer back, or just slam him up against the wall or leave him hanging by his collar on the coat rack, but I can’t, as I’m no longer a player.“I have to think twice before I say anything, because it can have an impact and I risk losing a great player. I don’t want to say something I’ll regret.“I am trying to be constructive in my comments to him.”last_img read more

Leeds manager Bielsa admits spy claims

first_imgLeeds boss Marcelo Bielsa accepts he did send someone to spy on Derby County’s training but still hasn’t apologised for the scenario.Derby reported that a Leeds employee had to be removed by police around the training ground ahead of Friday night’s Championship match between the clubs.Derby manager Frank Lampard suspended training and took the players off the pitch after the ‘spy’ was discovered.Asked about the incident before facing Derby, Bielsa told Sky Sports:“It’s true it was someone from Leeds United. I am responsible for it. It doesn’t matter if this is legal or illegal, or right or wrong…Solskjaer reveals he plans to build his team around Pogba Manuel R. Medina – July 17, 2019 The Manchester United manager wants to end the speculation that the Frenchman is leaving the Red Devils.“For me, it is enough that Frank Lampard and Derby felt it was not the right thing to do, for me to believe that I didn’t behave well.“Yesterday I talked to Frank Lampard and he said I didn’t respect the rules of fair play. I have a different point of view on it, but the important thing is what Frank Lampard and Derby think.“I am the only one responsible for it, because I didn’t ask for the permission of Leeds to do it.“Without trying to find a justification, I have been using this kind of practice since the qualifiers for the World Cup with Argentina. It is not illegal, we have been doing it publicly and we talk about it in the press. For some people, it’s the wrong thing to do and for other people, it’s not the wrong thing to do.”last_img read more