PACOIMA – A gunman shot two middle-aged brothers on the street early Sunday morning, leaving one dead, police said. Albert Rushing, 63, died not far from his brother, Monroe Brazil, 51, after being shot several times around 2:50 a.m. near the corner of Donfield and Vaughn avenues. The shooting does not appear to be gang-related, said Sgt. Orlando Chandler of the LAPD’s Foothill Division. But police are looking for someone seen leaving the scene in a newer model black vehicle with tinted windows. Anyone with questions or information is asked to contact Foothill Homicide Detective Martinez or detective Brownell at (818) 834-3115 or (818) 756-8861, during normal business hours or call after hours at 1-877-LAW-FULL (529-3855). 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
One of the works was a highly prized vase attributed to the 5th century B.C. Greek painter Euphronios. The delivery was the first since Getty Director Michael Brand signed a deal with Rutelli last week to return 40 contested artifacts from the Getty’s Los Angeles collection that Italy says were looted from its territory. The Getty has always denied knowingly buying illegally obtained objects, and Italy’s deal with the museum includes no admission of guilt. It calls for all but one of the treasures to be transferred to Italy by year’s end. The last and most prized work, a 5th century B.C. statue of the goddess Aphrodite, will remain at the Getty until 2010. In exchange, Italy will lend the Los Angeles museum other artifacts for up to four years each. The agreement also provides for cultural cooperation, including research projects and joint exhibitions. The four objects returned Tuesday include a red-figured ceramic vase known as a kantharos, with masks of Dionysus and a satyr. The work, which is believed to date from 480 B.C., is attributed to the great painter Euphronios. Another Euphronios work, a large vase, was at the heart of Italy’s negotiations with Metropolitan Museum in New York over its disputed antiquities. In addition to the Euphronios, the other Getty artifacts include a fragment of a wall fresco from the 1st century B.C. depicting Hercules; an Etruscan terra cotta statue from the 5th century B.C.; and a vase depicting a garden scene dating from 350 B.C. and attributed to the potter Asteas. Former Getty curator Marion True is on trial in Rome accused of knowingly acquiring ancient treasures that Italy maintains were stolen or unearthed illegally and smuggled out of the country. True denies wrongdoing. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Nicole Winfield THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ROME – Four prized artifacts from the J. Paul Getty Museum in California returned to Italy on Tuesday, the first of 40 works to be handed over by the Getty as a result of Italy’s efforts to recover antiquities it says were looted and sold to museums. Culture Minister Francesco Rutelli announced that the four works, which he said were insured for $427 million, would be distributed to Italian museums.
“For the very first time, scientists can hold the San Andreas Fault in their hands,” said Mark Zoback, a professor of earth sciences and geophysics at Stanford University. “It’s a new beginning for several different areas of earthquake research.” Researchers aren’t optimistic that the dark-gray chunks of rock will help them predict when the Big One is about to occur. But they will now know exactly what the fault is made of, which they hope will answer questions about the mechanics of earthquakes. Hundreds of scientists from around the world are expected to submit requests to study the samples, yet it will likely be years before they understand what the rocks have to say about the physics of earthquakes. “The ultimate goal is to understand how faults work,” Ellsworth said. The drilling occurred about 23 miles northeast of Paso Robles near the small town of Parkfield. The site was selected because it’s an especially active part of the San Andreas Fault that moves regularly but does not produce large earthquakes. There is no risk of the drilling itself causing a massive temblor. Researchers can already see from the samples that chunks of serpentine are embedded within them. Serpentine is a green mineral that scientists have long suspected might be one of the reasons why that stretch of the San Andreas Fault silently creeps. But it had never been proved that the substance was indeed in the fault. Scientists wonder if the serpentine – which is California’s official state rock – has been smoothing the way for huge tectonic plates to slide silently past one another. During the next phase of the project, scientists will create the world’s first underground earthquake observatory that is within an active fault. They will lower into it a number of seismic instruments that will await and observe dozens of small earthquakes and their aftershocks over the next 10 to 20 years. That phase of the project could help scientists determine whether earthquakes are predictable.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Why do earthquakes start? How do they stop? What is the fault made of? Scientists believe that by studying the new rock samples they’ll be able to come up with answers for some of the tough questions that have eluded them for years. “This for us is really the mother lode,” said William Ellsworth, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park. “They’re more precious than moon rocks and gold.” The samples, taken from 2
Simon Clare joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.The Coral spokesman previews Monday night’s massive FA Cup clash between Manchester United and Arsenal and says the Gunners, 2-1 for the victory, may be worth backing.He also reveals Liverpool are still favourites for FA Cup glory despite being held to a goalless draw by Blackburn in their quarter-final at Anfield on Sunday.And he looks ahead to the Cheltenham Festival, which kicks off on Tuesday.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast
Arsenal and Liverpool both made three changes for Saturday afternoon’s crunch Premier League clash.Mesut Ozil returned for the Gunners in place of Danny Welbeck, who dropped to the bench after suffering a slight knee injury during England’s European Championship qualifier against Lithuania.Per Mertesacker and Hector Bellerin also came into the side, with Gabriel Paulista and Calum Chambers missing out.For Liverpool, Kole Toure was drafted into the starting XI in place of the suspended Martin Skrtel.Lazar Markovic and Lucas also returned, with Daniel Sturridge dropping to the bench and the injured Adam Lallana not included in the matchday squad.Arsenal, sitting third in the Premier League, headed into the game six points clear of fifth-placed Liverpool.A victory for the Gunners would see them move above Manchester City and into second, while the visitors would close to within two points of the final Champions League qualification places with a win in north London.TEAMS:Liverpool – Starting XI: Mignolet, Can, Toure, Sakho, Allen, Lucas, Moreno, Henderson, Coutinho, Markovic, Sterling. Subs: Jones, Johnson, Lovren, Sturridge, Manquillo, Borini, BrannaganArsenal – Starting XI: Ospina, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis, Giroud. Subs: Macey, Gibbs, Gabriel, Flamini, Rosicky, Walcott, Welbeck 1 Mesut Ozil
Antoine Griezmann in action for Atletico Madrid 1 Chelsea target Antoine Griezmann has a release clause of £47.3m in his contract, according to reports in Spain.Spanish newspaper Marca believe Griezmann, who was recently named La Liga player of the month in April, will be allowed to leave for a fee just short of £50m, with the release clause unlikely to be altered.The 24-year-old French international, who joined Atlético Madrid for £24m from Real Sociedad in August last year, has notched 22 goals in 34 La Liga appearances this campaign – more than Neymar, Luis Suarez, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema.Griezmann, who made his international debut for France against the Netherlands in March last year, has scored five goals in 16 appearances for Les Bleus and has also attracted interest from Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich.It appears Mourinho will have to move quickly to fend off the interest from fellow European giants, though if the move goes ahead, an attacking trio of Griezmann, Eden Hazard and Diego Costa would give Premier League defenders many a sleepless night.
1 Manchester United v Liverpool is live on talkSPORT this Saturday September 12 2015, from 17:30 BST.Ahead of the biggest game in English football, reports have emerged that senior United players have confronted Louis van Gaal about his training methods.The Dutchman, rightly or wrongly, has a reputation for being an authoritarian figure and this report from The Times suggests he is stifling the Red Devils’ play.United currently sit fifth in the table after four games and have qualified for the Champions League group stage, but will be desperate to beat Liverpool on Saturday.Here’s some of the reaction to The Times’ story… Manchester United news
3. Ezequiel Lavezzi: A 2014 World Cup finalist is on the move – Lavezzi has flourished in both Italy and France at Napoli and PSG but, with his contract expiring in the summer, is set for a new challenge. While he favours a return to Italy Inter are favourites to sign him Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool are all possible alternative destinations as PSG look to push through a deal imminently to avoid losing the Argentine for free at the end of the season. 6 The January transfer window is nearing its conclusion and clubs around the world are still working tirelessly to thrash out deals before the deadline.Many interpret the mid-season window as a bit of a circus, smacking more of desperation than necessity as clubs try to salvage their campaigns.Some of the most established names in world football are available and, while they may be entering the autumn of their careers, are still attracting potential suitors.So we’ve composed a list of the six players with the greatest pedigree – think club and international success – who could be on the move in the next 10 days or so.Click the yellow arrow above, right, to see who they are…N.B – Victor Valdes would have made this list, but the Manchester United goalkeeper appears to be on the verge of ending his Old Trafford nightmare by moving to Standard Liege. 4. Alexandre Pato: Talented Brazilian has rebuilt his career in South America as a dangerous wideman – Astonishingly, Pato is still just 26 years old after bursting onto the European scene so emphatically nearly a decade ago with AC Milan. Hes spent the last few years fumbling around in Brazil in an attempt to reignite his career and harbours dreams of moving back to Europe, and that seems likely with Chelsea reportedly close to finalising an £8m deal for the forward. 6 6 1. Nemanja Vidic: Former Man United defender won numerous trophies at Old Trafford – Vidic announced last week his Inter contract had been terminated after a rather underwhelming 18 months in Italy. The Manchester United great, who won five Premier League titles, three League Cups and the Champions League at Old Trafford, has reportedly been offered to lowly Aston Villa on a free. Fall from grace? 6 6 2. Robinho: Has won 99 Brazil caps and titles with Real Madrid and Milan – Its a long time since Robinho was terrorising La Liga and Premier League defences for Real Madrid and Manchester City respectively. The 31-year-old Brazilian, who allegedly thought hed joined Chelsea rather than City back in 2008, recently left Chinese side Guangzhou Evergrande and has been linked with Swiss club Sion. 5. Ronaldinho: A wealth of experience which has brought him multiple domestic trophies, the World Cup and Ballon d’Or – One of footballs greatest entertainers is clinging onto the remnants of his career, making his first appearance since September in Fluminenses 1-1 draw with Shakhtar Donetsk at the weekend. Ronaldinho has failed to register either a goal or an assist in nine games for the Brazilain side, but he would still prove a luxury and lucrative signing financially for a host of European clubs. 6 6. Emmanuel Adebayor: The 31-year-old striker has plenty of goals in him… when he fancies it – Weve put him in this list purely based on his goalscoring records at Arsenal and Manchester City. With a settled mentality, Adebayor would be an extremely useful asset for a number of Premier League clubs. Tottenham are still paying his extortionate wages and would love to offload him before the end of January, and Watford and Crystal Palace are both tipped to take the Togo forward off their hands.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Wearing a brown shirt and beige pants, Queen Rania – an advocate of education, opportunities for youths and women’s empowerment – seemed to understand the students and where they’re coming from, even encouraging them to add a Middle Eastern person to their list of MySpace and Facebook friends. “It’s about reaching out,” she said. Her visit was arranged by the county Human Relations Commission, which in 2005 began working with the school, where a brawl among students prompted a campus lockdown. The school is among the most diverse in the Los Angeles Unified School District. In light of the violent incident, teachers began working with students to implement programs to improve student relations and conflict resolution. The queen, and mother of four young children, heard from some of those students, who talked about bridging the cultural divide. WOODLAND HILLS – The world’s youngest queen came to Taft High School on Wednesday, preaching a message of peace and understanding – a message the students knew all too well. For the past two years, they have established campus groups to bridge the gap between black and white, Muslim and Jewish, and gay and straight as a part of a program through the Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations. So when Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan spoke to about 500 of the school’s 3,000 students Wednesday, she had a captivated audience. “It’s not just about accepting diversity,” said the 37-year-old queen. “It’s about understanding the value of diversity. We have to make that effort to challenge assumptions, to try to get to know that other person even if they look different than us.” One by one, they approached the podium, giving the queen examples of how they’ve eradicated prejudice and promoted understanding on campus. For example, Abraham Hernandez and Sergio Astorga used to be enemies, just because one lived in the 818 area code and the other lived in the 213. Astorga is now the co-president of the Heart/Blue Ribbon Committee, a program that addresses racial and ethnic issues. “Once rivals and now friends, Heart has put into perspective what is important in this world, and has helped tear down much of the hatred I once had towards him and his group,” Astorga said. Then there’s Shawna Varagen, an openly gay female student who walks hand in hand with her partner on campus. “We are all fighting the same battle, whether black, brown, Jewish, Muslim, gay or straight,” she said. “Taft has become a place where students feel safe and free to express themselves.” Taft Principal Sharon Thomas said the programs have helped students learn to get along. “They’ve made them more tolerant, less angry toward groups that are different to them,” she said. “I think what they heard loud and clear from the queen was to continue that work, (to) try to make a friend who is very different.” At the end of the queen’s appearance, she said Taft was the first high school she had ever visited in California. Then she added, to rousing applause, “I think I made the right choice.” firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3699160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The unfolding credit crisis claimed its biggest corporate casualty so far, although O’Neal walks away with an exit package worth $161.5 million. O’Neal’s downfall took just six days from the time Merrill reported that record loss, although some were surprised it took even that long. “What did him in so quickly is that O’Neal failed to develop supporters who would defend him and fight hard at the board or executive level,” said Richard X. Bove, an analyst with Punk, Ziegel & Co. “One of the reasons is that he fired 26,000 workers, some of which were his supporters, and that made him vulnerable.” Whoever replaces O’Neal faces a daunting task – so much so that the most widely tipped candidate, BlackRock CEO Laurence Fink, turned down an initial offer but has since engaged the board in active discussions, said a person with direct knowledge of the offer who was not authorized to speak publicly. Any successor will step into a Merrill Lynch that O’Neal aggressively transformed into a more diversified investment house from one that relied heavily on just stock trading. NEW YORK – Stan O’Neal was known as one of the most ruthless men on Wall Street – clawing his way up from an impoverished upbringing in Alabama to run the world’s largest brokerage. His tough, take-no-prisoners drive at Merrill Lynch & Co. was celebrated when he delivered record profits during his five-year tenure as CEO. But O’Neal, who was purportedly fond of saying “ruthless isn’t always that bad,” found out Tuesday that even he wasn’t immune to the cutthroat ways of Wall Street. After delivering investors a $2.24 billion quarterly loss – Merrill’s biggest since being founded 93 years ago – O’Neal was forced to retire by a board of directors that he mostly picked. The brokerage racked up record profits as he emphasized riskier bets than past Merrill CEOs. That strategy – which handed Merrill Lynch record results during the market’s peak – came with a heavy cost during the tumultuous third quarter. There is speculation by many analysts that Merrill Lynch faces a $4 billion writedown during the fourth quarter. This would be on top of a $7.9 billion charge taken last quarter, a stunning amount since Merrill originally said it would write down only $4.5 billion because of credit market turmoil. O’Neal, 56, accepted blame for the losses, which immediately led to calls for his ouster. Merrill Lynch still has a sizable portfolio of complex financial instruments called collateralized debt obligations, which combine slices of different kinds of risk. It was Merrill’s bet on CDOs, and the subprime mortgages underpinning many of them, that proved to be O’Neal’s downfall. Dealing with the risky portfolio will be the priority of co-presidents and chief operating officers Ahmass Fakahany and Gregory Fleming. Merrill Lynch said their duties will be split – with Fleming in charge of Merrill’s front-line businesses, such as its brokerage.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!