Derby have extended the loan spell of Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland.Butland’s initial stay with the Championship club was due to expire this week, but the England Under-21 international will now remain at the iPro Stadium for another seven days while Rams number one Lee Grant completes his recovery from an ankle injury.The 21-year-old was brought in as cover for Grant after he was injured against Reading in October. Grant has missed six matches and it is still unclear whether he will be fit for Saturday’s league trip to Watford.Butland has made five appearances for Derby, keeping two clean sheets and helping the side to three wins along the way. Jack Butland in action for the England Under-21s 1
Guillermo Ochoa in action for Mexico Liverpool look set to miss out on goalkeeper target Guillermo Ochoa after the Mexican reportedly agreed a deal with Turkish side Trabzonspor.Ochoa only moved to Malaga in the summer from French club Ajaccio, but he looks as though he will once again be on his travels after failing to make a single appearance in La Liga.Several sides have expressed an interest in Ochoa, but the 29-year-old is set to refuse offers from numerous big clubs in Europe to ensure he gains first team football.Liverpool had looked into the Mexican stopper to provide extra competition and pressure on Belgian keeper Simon Mignolet, who they signed for £9m from Sunderland in the summer of 2013.However, with Ochoa looking like he’s packed his bags to Turkey for a fee of around £6m, Liverpool will have to take their interest elsewhere. 1
talkSPORT’s Breakfast transfer guru Ian Abrahams guides you through the latest news and views from the transfer market.Liverpool are leading the race to sign Ipswich starlet Teddy Bishop, who has also been linked with Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham.The Gunners, who are in the market for another defender, are being linked with Villarreal’s Gabriel Paulista, while West Ham’s Winston Reid is still on their radar.Listen to the Moose’s transfer round-up above and leave your thoughts on the day’s news below…
“@hm u got us all wrong! And we ain’t going for it! Straight up!” James said in an Instagram post which included a photo of the same ad, but with a crown superimposed on the boy’s head, and the text on the hooded sweater replaced by a crown.“Enough about y’all and more of what I see when I look at this photo. I see a Young King!! The ruler of the world, an untouchable Force that can never be denied!” the athlete said.“We as African Americans will always have to break barriers, prove people wrong and work even harder to prove we belong,” James added.A generic photo of the hooded sweatshirt without the modelling child is still available online.“You do know that monkey is a known racial slur to black people right?” style blogger Stephanie Yeboah tweeted on Sunday.H&M is one of several major companies to be hit by an advertisement scandal in recent years.In October last year, skincare brand Dove apologised after it was accused of racism for airing a commercial showing a black woman turning into a white woman after removing her top.And Spanish clothing brand Zara in 2014 removed a striped pyjamas with a yellow star after facing outrage over its resemblance to clothes worn by Jewish prisoners in concentration camps.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000LeBron James posted his fourth triple-double in five games with 20 points, 12 rebounds and 15 assists as the streaking Cleveland Cavaliers defeated the Washington Wizards 106-99STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Jan 9 – NBA superstar LeBron James on Tuesday lashed out at an H&M advertisement of a black child modelling a hoodie with the inscription “coolest monkey in the jungle” that has sparked outrage and accusations of racism.James is the latest public figure to criticise the Swedish clothing giant, which apologised and removed the online shopping ad.
Now, on the ceiling of one club in Buenos Aires, in a painting modeled after Michelangelo’s work in the Sistine Chapel, Maradona is God, extending his hand to Adam — Lionel Messi.Argentina-born Pope Francis, an avowed football fan, would certainly smile at the grand gesture made by the club Sportivo Pereyra, located in the Barracas district of the capital, where football and other team sports are played.“For us, this pitch is our temple — a sacred temple of football, and what better than to have a fresco on the ceiling that is worthy of a temple,” coach Ricardo Elsegood told AFP.“The Sistine Chapel has God and Adam, and the chapel of football has Messi and Maradona.”In this version of Michelangelo’s “Creation of Adam,” instead of the angels surrounding God, other football stars are featured: Juan Riquelme, Gabriel Batistuta, Mario Kempes, Sergio Aguero, Claudio Caniggia, Ricardo Bochini and Ariel Ortega.The players are clad in the classic blue and white striped jersey of Argentina’s national team.Argentina’s Sistine Chapel of football pays tribute to Michelangelo’s “Creation of Adam” © AFP / JUAN MABROMATAThe club, where many children play, is located in the southern part of Buenos Aires, not far from the stadium of the Boca Juniors, Argentina’s most successful club.“It’s as if Maradona had bestowed upon Messi the gift of continued good football,” explains the artist who painted the work, Santiago Barbeito.For Elsegood, it was a simple decision.“We realized the ceiling was rather dark. We thought at first of painting it blue with white clouds. But one day, the artist came and said it would be better to do it with Messi and Maradona,” he said.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Young people play football at the Sportivo Pereyra club in Barracas, where local artist Santiago Barbeito has painted the sport’s version of the Sistine Chapel featuring legends Diego Maradona (R) and Lionel Messi (L) © AFP / JUAN MABROMATABUENOS AIRES, Argentina, Apr 26 – There is no question that football is a sort of religion in Argentina.And one of the football-mad country’s brightest stars, Diego Maradona, is known for his infamous “Hand of God” goal against England in the 1986 World Cup.
“This was the most difficult match of my life. Not even the numerous Harambee Stars games,” Oliech told Capital Sport just after the game against Mathare.He added; “This was my first match and the most important thing for me was the impact I was to make. People were expecting a lot and that made it more difficult. The competitive feeling is coming back slowly and I think I am building up nicely.”“Coming off the bench, from experience is very tough. But, I expect to start on Wednesday against Posta Rangers.”Oliech, still panting form the rigorous warm down he was put through as well as the other substitutes who played under half an hour said he was delighted to make his debut for Gor and furthermore mark a return to the Kenyan Premier League.Dennis Oliech dribbles towards goal during his debut during a Kenyan Premier League match against Mathare United on January 6, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond Makhaya“It was nice. I remember when I was starting off as a 17-year old, I used to play 10, 15 minutes and I slowly built on that. It is the same now,” a delighted Oliech stated.Coming on, Oliech caused some jitters to the Mathare United backline and coach Francis Kimanzi admitted as much, that he had to guide his young backline to contain the mental fist-fights that came with the striker’s entrance.“It was a psychological thing which tried to disturb my boys but we had prepared well mentally for it, that we don’t care who plays but they play against Mathare United,” said the tactician.With a target of scoring more than 20 goals, Oliech says his biggest ambition is to help Gor retain the KPL title and personally for him to win a title after a long time in his career.“My focus now is on helping Gor Mahia win the league. Personally, I want to win a trophy because it has been so long since that happened. The last time I won a title was in 2010 when we won the CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup in Mwanza with Harambee Stars. I want that feeling all over again,” he noted.Dennis Oliech moves around the pitch closely guarded by Mathare United defender Andrew Juma when he made his debut during a Kenyan Premier League match on January 6, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaCommenting on whether or not he will be ready to step into the national team for an opportunity to play at the Cup of Nations, Oliech says that will only count as a bonus as it is not on his mind.Oliech scored the all-important goal against Cape Verde that took Kenya to it’s last ever African Cup of Nations in 2004 and was also on the score sheet netting the second goal as Kenya beat Burkina Faso 3-0 for its only win in the tournament staged in Tunisia.“For me, I am not thinking about that very much now. My focus is on Gor Mahia and helping the team do well in the league and continentally. That will come later,” he further stated.0Shares0000(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Dennis Oliech points out tactics to his teammates when he made his debut during a Kenyan Premier League match against Mathare United on January 6, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 6 – Having made his debut for Gor Mahia on Sunday evening in a 1-1 draw against Mathare United at the Kasarani Stadium, Harambee Stars legend Dennis Oliech has described it as the hardest game in his life, especially having stayed for close to two years without club football.Oliech came in for Nicholas Kipkurui after 67 minutes and had some flushes of brilliance and should have twice had a goal on his debut, first as he dived in to a Boniface Omondi cross while in the second opportunity, a forest of Mathare defenders blocked his view as he went for a shot from close range.
PACOIMA – A gunman shot two middle-aged brothers on the street early Sunday morning, leaving one dead, police said. Albert Rushing, 63, died not far from his brother, Monroe Brazil, 51, after being shot several times around 2:50 a.m. near the corner of Donfield and Vaughn avenues. The shooting does not appear to be gang-related, said Sgt. Orlando Chandler of the LAPD’s Foothill Division. But police are looking for someone seen leaving the scene in a newer model black vehicle with tinted windows. Anyone with questions or information is asked to contact Foothill Homicide Detective Martinez or detective Brownell at (818) 834-3115 or (818) 756-8861, during normal business hours or call after hours at 1-877-LAW-FULL (529-3855). 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
One of the works was a highly prized vase attributed to the 5th century B.C. Greek painter Euphronios. The delivery was the first since Getty Director Michael Brand signed a deal with Rutelli last week to return 40 contested artifacts from the Getty’s Los Angeles collection that Italy says were looted from its territory. The Getty has always denied knowingly buying illegally obtained objects, and Italy’s deal with the museum includes no admission of guilt. It calls for all but one of the treasures to be transferred to Italy by year’s end. The last and most prized work, a 5th century B.C. statue of the goddess Aphrodite, will remain at the Getty until 2010. In exchange, Italy will lend the Los Angeles museum other artifacts for up to four years each. The agreement also provides for cultural cooperation, including research projects and joint exhibitions. The four objects returned Tuesday include a red-figured ceramic vase known as a kantharos, with masks of Dionysus and a satyr. The work, which is believed to date from 480 B.C., is attributed to the great painter Euphronios. Another Euphronios work, a large vase, was at the heart of Italy’s negotiations with Metropolitan Museum in New York over its disputed antiquities. In addition to the Euphronios, the other Getty artifacts include a fragment of a wall fresco from the 1st century B.C. depicting Hercules; an Etruscan terra cotta statue from the 5th century B.C.; and a vase depicting a garden scene dating from 350 B.C. and attributed to the potter Asteas. Former Getty curator Marion True is on trial in Rome accused of knowingly acquiring ancient treasures that Italy maintains were stolen or unearthed illegally and smuggled out of the country. True denies wrongdoing. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Nicole Winfield THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ROME – Four prized artifacts from the J. Paul Getty Museum in California returned to Italy on Tuesday, the first of 40 works to be handed over by the Getty as a result of Italy’s efforts to recover antiquities it says were looted and sold to museums. Culture Minister Francesco Rutelli announced that the four works, which he said were insured for $427 million, would be distributed to Italian museums.
“For the very first time, scientists can hold the San Andreas Fault in their hands,” said Mark Zoback, a professor of earth sciences and geophysics at Stanford University. “It’s a new beginning for several different areas of earthquake research.” Researchers aren’t optimistic that the dark-gray chunks of rock will help them predict when the Big One is about to occur. But they will now know exactly what the fault is made of, which they hope will answer questions about the mechanics of earthquakes. Hundreds of scientists from around the world are expected to submit requests to study the samples, yet it will likely be years before they understand what the rocks have to say about the physics of earthquakes. “The ultimate goal is to understand how faults work,” Ellsworth said. The drilling occurred about 23 miles northeast of Paso Robles near the small town of Parkfield. The site was selected because it’s an especially active part of the San Andreas Fault that moves regularly but does not produce large earthquakes. There is no risk of the drilling itself causing a massive temblor. Researchers can already see from the samples that chunks of serpentine are embedded within them. Serpentine is a green mineral that scientists have long suspected might be one of the reasons why that stretch of the San Andreas Fault silently creeps. But it had never been proved that the substance was indeed in the fault. Scientists wonder if the serpentine – which is California’s official state rock – has been smoothing the way for huge tectonic plates to slide silently past one another. During the next phase of the project, scientists will create the world’s first underground earthquake observatory that is within an active fault. They will lower into it a number of seismic instruments that will await and observe dozens of small earthquakes and their aftershocks over the next 10 to 20 years. That phase of the project could help scientists determine whether earthquakes are predictable.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Why do earthquakes start? How do they stop? What is the fault made of? Scientists believe that by studying the new rock samples they’ll be able to come up with answers for some of the tough questions that have eluded them for years. “This for us is really the mother lode,” said William Ellsworth, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park. “They’re more precious than moon rocks and gold.” The samples, taken from 2
Simon Clare joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.The Coral spokesman previews Monday night’s massive FA Cup clash between Manchester United and Arsenal and says the Gunners, 2-1 for the victory, may be worth backing.He also reveals Liverpool are still favourites for FA Cup glory despite being held to a goalless draw by Blackburn in their quarter-final at Anfield on Sunday.And he looks ahead to the Cheltenham Festival, which kicks off on Tuesday.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast