The Latest: Seb Coe says Olympics in July not feasible

first_img Associated Press The breakfasts and lunches will be grab-and-go style, in line with social distancing mandates. Isaac says a nurse will be on-site for the pickups as well. Isaac also says there’s a similar plan in place to assist those who are living in extended-stay hotels.“We cannot just sit on our hands while this is going on,” Isaac said.Isaac was honored by the Magic last year for his commitment to community involvement. The Magic have pledged $2 million to help arena workers displaced by the sports and entertainment shutdown, and Magic players Mo Bamba and Nikola Vucevic are among those who have offered financial help to that cause as well.___The $12 million Dubai World Cup, the world’s richest purse in horse racing, will be postponed until next year. That’s according to an announcement from the Dubai Media Office, a governmental agency. Officials had planned to run the race March 28 without spectators over concerns about the new coronavirus and the COVID-19 illness it causes. The Latest: Seb Coe says Olympics in July not feasible Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effect of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The leader of the international track federation, Seb Coe, sent a letter to IOC president Thomas Bach saying holding the Olympics in July “is neither feasible nor desirable” with the coronavirus impacting huge swaths of the globe. Criticism of the stance grew in recent days — from athletes and by a first IOC member last Tuesday — and Bach finally acknowledged an alternative plan was possible.“Of course we are considering different scenarios,” Bach told the New York Times in an interview late Thursday.___The St. Louis Blues say a relative of a team employee has tested positive for COVID-19.The person is in self-isolation along with members of the person’s family, according to the team. The time will be used to plan different scenarios for the July 24-Aug. 9 games, the International Olympic Committee said Sunday.“These scenarios relate to modifying existing operational plans for the Games to go ahead on 24 July 2020, and also for changes to the start date of the Games,” the IOC said. Though canceling the Tokyo Olympics is not an option, a delay until later this year or in 2021 is possible.The change in strategy followed IOC president Thomas Bach leading a telephone conference call with executive board members.Bach has consistently said organizers are fully committed to holding the games from July 24-Aug. 9 — despite athlete training, qualifying events and games preparations being disrupted more and more by the virus outbreak spreading globally.center_img All Blues staff who may have come into close contact with the employee have been notified. The team says it is asking for all members of the Blues to remain isolated, monitor their health and seek advice from team medical staff.___Orlando Magic forward Jonathan Isaac announced he is teaming up with a church to provide hot breakfasts and lunches to school kids age 18 and under on weekdays for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic.Isaac says he’s partnering with J.U.M.P. Ministries Global Church for that initiative. Isaac also announced that he’ll be helping families obtain boxes of non-perishable food items once a week, things like oatmeal and cereal and instant rice.“There’s a great concern to those kids going hungry at this time. We don’t want that to happen,” Isaac said. Coe sent the letter Sunday after meeting with leaders from around the world in track, which is the biggest sport at the Olympics. It came hours after the IOC announced it could take up to four weeks to make a decision on whether to postpone the games, which are scheduled to start July 24.Coe cited issues of fairness, the increased likelihood of injuries if athletes have to rush through training and the uncertainty caused by public health issues that are forcing many countries to order all people to stay indoors. Coe reiterated what he’s said before — that nobody wants to see the Olympics postponed, but it can’t be held at all costs, specifically the cost of athlete safety.___The IOC will take four weeks to weigh options for the Tokyo Games amid mounting calls from athletes and Olympic officials for a postponement due to the coronavirus pandemic. March 22, 2020 ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

Disney prevails in photo finish

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! It was a No. 1 weekend for The Walt Disney Co. after all. Final box office figures released Tuesday revealed that Disney’s basketball drama “Glory Road” earned more during the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend than The Weinstein Co. animated film “Hoodwinked,” which had initially been reported as the top movie in the marketplace. “Glory” took in $16.92 million over the four days, with Monday ticket sales coming in higher than Disney had estimated. Only $48,187 separated the top two films. “No. 1 is one of the mantles that you strive for; you always think of it,” said Disney’s distribution head, Chuck Viane. “It’s nice to have bragging rights and even more important when filmmakers work so hard. The word of mouth seems to be spreading so quickly that we saw a nice surge in attendance.” “Hoodwinked” took in $16.87 million over the weekend, more than most box office prognosticators had expected but ultimately not enough to achieve No. 1 status. “The number that came in so far exceeded everyone’s expectations that I wouldn’t care if we were in 10th place,” said Gary Faber, executive vice president of marketing for The Weinstein Co. “It was just truly a surprise for everyone and playing for both kids and parents.” Had “Hoodwinked” been able to keep the top spot, it would have represented a significant win for brothers Harvey and Bob Weinstein, who severed ties last year with Miramax Films, the studio that they founded and Disney bought. The Weinsteins left the Disney fold after numerous battles over the size of budget for their films. The Weinstein Co., which released its final figures late Tuesday afternoon, had actually underestimated the four-day numbers for “Hoodwinked” on Monday when it was thought to be the winner, making the victory by “Glory Road” all the more impressive. When initially reporting last weekend’s four-day box office numbers, studios used ticket-sale figures for Friday through Sunday and estimates for Monday. In reporting a typical three-day weekend, the estimate is for Sunday. Final figures are typically closely in line with the estimates, although there are rare times when they differ significantly. “This has happened in the past with these estimates,” said box office analyst Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations Co. “When two films are this close to No. 1, that’s the only time when this becomes problematic.” While Disney was ultimately able to best the Weinsteins, “Hoodwinked” still benefited from the entire day it was viewed as as top dog, according to Dergarabedian. “Bragging rights are important, and once it was publicized as No. 1, it’s kind of hard to put that idea away,” he said. “In the minds of many, many people, it’s king for the day. Disney didn’t get that extra day of marketing. But everyone does their best to put out the most accurate possible estimate.” Greg Hernandez, (818) 713-3758 [email protected]last_img read more