Topics : Schools, universities, cinemas, cafes and other public places in Iraq have been ordered shut until March 7 to further contain the outbreak, but many continue to operate normally.Responding to Wednesday’s death, Sulaimaniyah Governor Haval Abu Bakr told reporters that all rallies in the province will be banned and that all football matches will now be held behind closed doors. Local religious authorities for their part announced a ban on mass prayers, including on Fridays, until further notice.The outbreak has fuelled public panic among Iraqis who say the war-ravaged country’s healthcare system cannot handle the epidemic. Many hospitals in Iraq are poorly equipped or in disrepair after successive waves of conflict. According to the World Health Organization, there are fewer than 10 doctors for every 10,000 people. Iraq said a 70-year-old Muslim cleric died on Wednesday from the novel coronavirus, the first death from the outbreak in a country where 31 people have been infected.The Iraqi preacher had been quarantined in the northeastern city of Sulaimaniyah before his death, a spokesman for the Kurdish autonomous region’s health authority said.According to local sources, he had recently met with Iraqis returning from neighboring Iran, which has recorded the third deadliest outbreak outside China, the epidemic’s epicenter. Across the world, 3,155 people have died from the virus, with China recording 2,943 deaths, Italy 79 while 77 people have died in Iran from the disease.Iraq is one of Iran’s largest export markets and a popular destination for Iranian pilgrims visiting the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala.Many Iraqis also cross the frontier for business, tourism, medical treatment and religious studies.Iraqi authorities have closed land borders with Iran and banned the entry of foreign nationals travelling from there and other badly affected countries.
The in-form Will Porterfield, who followed up his century against England with an innings of 62 on Friday, fell for just five after being cleaned up by Ian Wardlaw. The Scotland paceman then accounted for another opener in Paul Stirling, who feathered a catch down the leg-side. Ed Joyce and Niall O’Brien put on 69 for the third wicket before the former was bowled by off-spinner Majid Haq for 39 although that failed to disrupt Ireland’s momentum. O’Brien continued to kick on and brought up his 50 off 54 balls with a clip to square-leg off Haq and it was fitting that he struck the winning run with a single down to long leg to finish on 65 not out, with Gary Wilson (35no) providing valuable support in an unbroken 75-run partnership for the fourth wicket. It was O’Brien’s younger brother Kevin who played a large part in giving Ireland a low victory target with figures of three for 31 as Scotland’s hopes of setting a large score were undermined by the steady fall of wickets. South African-born Sorensen (three for 36) started the rot when he had Freddie Coleman lbw, while Hamish Gardiner nicked Richardson behind. Matt Machan had reached a rather sedate 23 before hammering Kevin O’Brien straight to the seamer’s sibling Niall at mid-on. Scotland captain Preston Mommsen fell in Kevin O’Brien’s next over after an attempted pull was feathered behind to leave Scotland on 61 for four. Having ended Scotland’s hopes of automatic World Cup qualification on Friday, Ireland’s seamers twisted the knife further by taking all 10 wickets to restrict their opponents to a paltry 165 all out after they had won the toss. Sorensen and O’Brien took three wickets apiece, while Stuart Thompson and Eddie Richardson shared the remaining four scalps in the International Cricket Council World Cricket League Championship encounter before Ireland’s batsman chased down the target in 33 overs, with Niall O’Brien ensuring there were few alarms. Press Association Calum MacLeod and Richie Berrington led a fightback of sorts with a partnership of 66 for the fifth wicket before the latter fell for 35 after chipping O’Brien to wide mid-on. That was the start of Scotland’s collapse as they lost their last six wickets for the addition of 38 runs, MacLeod the next to fall having top-scored with 39 when he was cleaned up by a Richardson slower ball. David Murphy was unbeaten on 20, but he was let down at the other end as Sorensen and Thompson (two for 20) cleaned up the lower order as Scotland were all out in 49.3 overs. Max Sorensen and Kevin O’Brien each took three wickets as Ireland claimed their second win over Scotland in three days after easing to a seven-wicket victory in Belfast.
Berlin: Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has been fined 8,000 euros ($9,000) by the German Football Federation (DFB) for unsporting behaviour towards a referee. Salihamidzic was fined on Thursday for behaviour towards referee Guido Winkmann at half-time during Bayern’s German Cup quarterfinal win over second-tier Heidenheim. Winkmann had sent off Bayern defender Niklas Suele early in a game the Bundesliga champions went on to win 5-4. Salihamidzic, who later apologised for his action, will not appeal against the decision. IANSAlso Read: Sports News
Top Czech women, including Pliskova and Kvitova are set to play while Jiri Vesely is the highest ranked player in the men’s draw.All the tournaments will be without spectators. The matches will be broadcast on television.MAN CITY OWNERS-BELGIAN CLUBMan City parent company buys Belgian club Lommel SKBRUSSELS (AP) — The owners of Manchester City have purchased a Belgian soccer team on today, adding a ninth club to their worldwide portfolio. Update on the latest in sports: Associated Press May 11, 2020 It says the 2023 event will take place from Aug. 25 through Sept. 10 of that year.Group games will be played in Indonesia, Japan and the Philippines.The final phase will be played in Manila. It will be the first time that the tournament formerly called the world championships will be played across multiple countries.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 — Real (RAY’-al) Madrid has become the latest Spanish league club to resume individual training. Players were back in action today at the team’s training center, two months after the league was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic. Most clubs had already resumed individual sessions. Barcelona restarted on Friday and Atlético Madrid on Saturday. All players were tested for COVID-19 before being allowed to practice. The league says five players on first- and second-division clubs have tested positive. Three staff members have also tested positive.— The head of Japanese baseball says the 12-team league is hoping to start play next month but no specific date has been set. Japan is living under a state of emergency that is in effect until May 31. Commissioner Atsushi Saito says the All-Star game in July has been canceled for the first time since it was initially held almost 70 years ago. The Japanese season was originally scheduled to open on March 20. Baseball has begun in Taiwan and South Korea in empty stadiums.— The Portuguese soccer federation says the league, clubs and players must take responsibility for the consequences of the return to soccer in the country amid the coronavirus pandemic. The federation says that is the first condition stipulated by government authorities to allow the Portuguese league and the Portuguese Cup to resume as planned by the end of the month. The federation says it received a set of conditions from the government on Sunday.CZECH-CHARITY EVENTPliskova, Kvitova to lead teams in Czech competition PRAGUE (AP) — Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova (kuh-VIHT’-oh-vuh) and third-ranked Karolina Pliskova will lead two teams in a charity competition during the coronavirus pandemic.Pliskova’s team will include her twin-sister Kristyna, 2019 French Open runner-up Marketa Vondrousova, Tereza Martincová and Nikola Bartunkova.Kvitova’s squad will include Barbora Strýcová, Kateřina Siniaková and Russia’s Ekaterina Alexandrova.The first of the four tournaments that are part of the competition is scheduled for June 13-15 in Prague.Separately, the first of a series of tournaments organized by the Czech tennis federation is scheduled for May 26-28 in Prague. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-AHLAmerican hockey league cancels rest of seasonUNDATED (AP) — The American Hockey League has canceled the rest of its season because of the coronavirus pandemic. The City Football Group, which is run by the Abu Dhabi royal family, says it bought second-division club Lommel SK after the team based in the eastern Limburg province had its professional license renewed. Financial terms of the deal have not been revealed.Lommel was sixth in the standings when the Belgian season was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic. The team plays in an 8,000-capacity stadium and its biggest achievement was reaching the 2001 Belgian Cup final.WORLD CUP-2023 DATESFIBA sets dates for 2023 Basketball World CupMIES, Switzerland (AP) — FIBA has set the dates for the next Basketball World Cup. President and CEO David Andrews says, “the resumption and completion of the 2019-20 season is not feasible in light of current conditions.”The league’s board of governors made that determination in a conference call Friday.The AHL suspended its season on March 12 after the NHL did. The league hopes to be back next season but that is in jeopardy if sports must be played in empty arenas.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— The British government has told sports bodies to prepare for the resumption of events in England but not before June and not with fans in stadiums. Sports have been shut down in Britain since March because of the coronavirus pandemic. A government document says Step 2 of the plan for easing the lockdown includes “permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast.” The document states that the resumption cannot happen before June 1.