Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York President Barack Obama has authorized a disaster declaration that will help New York State pay for cleaning up Suffolk County after the blizzard that dumped nearly three feet of snow in February.The declaration makes Suffolk eligible for assistance from Federal Emergency Management Agency. The county and the state will also be eligible for federal assistance with the cost of snow removal on eastern Long Island.“Suffolk County bore the worst of the storm’s impact on New York,” said U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, who co-wrote a request to the president with U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. “Residents throughout Suffolk County and New York should not be left shouldering all of these costs alone.”The Feb. 8 snowstorm forced scores of drivers to abandon their vehicles on roadways including the Long Island Expressway, which was closed for days while hundreds of snowplows were brought in from upstate to clear the way.Countless other roads were also forced closed by the powerful nor’easter, dubbed Winter Storm Nemo, which brought the highest accumulations in the Town of Brookhaven, where residents were most critical of the municipalities response.
The legislation allows the four funds to put more capital into illiquid or alternative investments than they were previously permitted, and reduced the minimum portfolio allocation they must have to interest-bearing securities to 20% from 30%.It also removed the current requirement for the funds to use external managers for a proportion of their assets.In addition, the law introduces the objective for the funds to manage pensions assets in a way that contributes to sustainable development.The plan to liberalise the funds’ investment rules has been under discussion for several years in various shapes, also forming part of the proposals aired in the wide-ranging buffer fund reform that was ultimately shelved three years ago.The new rules will take effect on 1 January 2019, according to information from the Swedish parliament.Members of the Riksdag from nearly all of Sweden’s many elected political parties voted in favour of the bill; the socialist Left Party (Vänsterpartiet) did not. Sweden’s main buffer funds for the state pension system have obtained legislative approval for their revised mandate, which will open the gate for them to invest more in illiquid and alternative assets.The Swedish parliament (Riksdagen) on Wednesday voted overwhelmingly to pass the bill placed before them, which changes the investment rules for AP1, AP2, AP3 and AP4.Ossian Ekdahl, acting head of communication at AP1, said the Stockholm-based pension fund was pleased that the AP-funds Act had now been changed.“It is good for both current and future Swedish pensioners,” he said, but declined to comment on how, and if, this would change AP1’s portfolio.
Live next door to Thor aka Chris Hemsworth MORE: Inside the home with a built-in skate bowl More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus9 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market9 hours agoVideo Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:58Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:58 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD432p432p216p216p180p180pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenHow much do I need to retire?00:58 Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk eased restrictions on auctions starting this weekend with 10 people allowed on-site as well as an auctioneer and agent.Auctions and open homes will return to normal in Queensland from July 10, while restricted auctions begin today with 10 interested parties allowed on-site at a time. This will rise to 20 on June 12 and then 100 four weeks later. Real Estate Institute of Queensland chief executive Antonia Mercorella told The Courier-Mail that Queensland Health had confirmed the 10-person limit applied to potential buyers and did not include auctioneers and agents.Ms Mercorella sought clarification from the government after there was confusion over who was included in the 10 person limit. REIQ CEO Antonia Mercorella sought clarification from Queensland Health regarding the auction requirements for this weekend.“We don’t anticipate vendors to be rushing back into them en masse but it’s anticipated this lively method of sale will pick up as restrictions further relax in line with the Queensland government’s current road map guidelines.”Some agents immediately shifted their auctions on-site, including Chris Vote of Raine and Horne Wynnum, who has 16 Besham Parade, Wynnum, going under the hammer at 10am – a large 809sq m level block that developers have been eyeing off.“I’ve moved it on-site. Registered parties get preference and then people who want to watch. Some people can use social distancing from the street if there is going to be that many. I have a couple of parties interested. I believe it will be registered bidders outside on the lawn.” Cricketer Chris Lynn throws in luxury car to sell home Chris Vote from Raine and Horne Wynnum at 16 Besham Parade, Wynnum, with nephew of owner David Marks. The property goes under the hammer at 10am on-site. Picture: Richard WalkerOn-site home auctions kick-off today for the first time in seven weeks after the Palaszczuk government relaxed restrictions on the number of people that can be in groups.Real estate agents have spent the past week adjusting to the new normal after having moved all auctions to online and phone bidding following the introduction of a temporary ban on March 25. Brisbane saw auctions continue through the lockdown period, with bidding via phone and auctions livestreamed.“With a further easing of restrictions set to be introduced in Queensland from midnight Friday, Queensland Health has confirmed that groups of up to 10 people at a time, excluding a real estate agent will be permissible to attend open home inspections this weekend, of course adhering to strict social distancing and hygiene requirements.“This same limit will apply to in-person auctions – a maximum of 10 people, excluding the auctioneer, sales agent and other support staff necessary.”Ms Mercorella said auctions were “an exciting part of the real estate landscape” and she expected sellers to slowly ease back into that part of the market. He said it was good to be back. “It’s exciting to see it come back and to be able to do inspections on site too. I think someone’s going to get a really great buy with this home.”David Marks, whose deceased uncle owned the home, was hoping the semi-lifting of restrictions would help the sale along.The return to auctions was expected to lift sales at the prestige end of the real estate market, where buyers prefer on-site auctions to virtual sales, according to Jason Adcock, principal at Adcock Prestige.“If they’re going to bid on a property, they would rather be on-site,” he said of multimillion-dollar buyers. Mr Adcock had shifted his sales method primarily to expressions of interest during the lockdown period. Jason Adcock of Adcock Prestige said a return to on-site auctions would help the top end of the market.Some agents were not immediately moving on-site, including Ray White Ascot principal Dwight Ferguson, who planned to work with in-room and online auction procedures this weekend, with buyers able to come to the office if preferred.“Whatever we choose to do, it will be compliant with social distancing and hygiene restrictions laid out by the State Government,” he said.He has a post-war, three-bedroom home at 9 Marie St, Hendra, which has had 30 private inspections set for auction at 10am. Co-agent Alexander Sheen said that auction would be held at the Ray White Ascot office on Racecourse Road.“We can have 10 buyers plus agents,” he said. “We have buyers attending in person, and a number of buyers on the phone. It will be at the office at 10am on the terrace.” FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON FACEBOOK
Believe it or not, in one month Batesville may be the only school not in session on the August corresponding date. I believe they are the only ones who start around August 9. Most of the others begin on the first or second of August.In about 2 weeks girls golf will be underway for the 2017-2018 school year. All other fall sports, like football, cross country, volleyball, and soccer will start practice just before or slightly after school begins. Before you know it, Coaches Corner will be back on the air on WRBI Monday nights. Where has summer gone?
DODGE CITY, Kan. – After two weeks off for drivers to compete in the IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Nationals and a weekend to regroup, the Myers Engine United Rebel Sprint Series will return to Dodge City Raceway Park for the fifth annual Jerry Soderberg Memorial this Saturday, Sept. 16.Leading the Rebels into Dodge City will be current points leader Zach Blurton, Jed Werner, Steven Richardson, Ty Williams and host of others as they will duel with Dodge City’s best Taylor Velasquez, Luke Cranston, Tyler Knight and others to make up a great field of cars for Dodge City’s championship night.“It’s an honor to be able to compete at this great event as Jerry was not only a great friend of mine but was also very instrumental in helping start the URSS,” said series founder Rick Salem. “We’re looking for a great field of cars from Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska and Oklahoma as this will be the last IMCA point race for the state of Kansas.”Comfort Suites in Dodge City has added money to the purse that will now pay $750 to win with $125 to start. Other sanctioned divisions running Saturday night will be the IMCA Modifieds, IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars, IMCA SportMods and IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks.Racing starts at 7 p.m. General admission is $20 for adults and free for kids 11 and under accompanying a paid adult.
Lloyd M. Mountford, age 85, of Brookville, Indiana died Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Margaret Mary Health in Batesville, Indiana.Born October 22, 1934 in Shaker Heights, Ohio he was the son of the late George & Marion (Hoffman) Mountford. On December 31, 1976 he became the husband of Connie (Bechtol) Mountford who survives him.Lloyd worked as a salesman for animal research. In his leisure, he enjoyed sailing and held a private pilot’s license.Survivors include son Seth Mountford of Cedar Grove, Indiana and daughter Lauren Mountford of Union, Kentucky; and one grandson Gage Mountford-Kersey.Family & friends may visit from 5:00 P.M. until 7:00 P.M. on Thursday, December 19, 2019, at Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home, 1025 Franklin Avenue, Brookville followed by Memorial Service officiated by Rev. Vincent P Lampert at 7:00 P.M.Memorial contributions may be directed to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The staff of Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home are honored to serve the Mountford family, to sign the online guest book or send personal condolences please visit www.phillipsandmeyers.com .
ACTION in the 2019 edition of the Exxon Mobil Schools football tournament begins today at the Ministry of Education ground, Carifesta Avenue.The male segment of the tournament opens with a March Past at 10:00hrs with matches set for 12:00hrs.Christ Church Secondary will play Lodge Secondary in the opening game with Plaisance Orphanage going up against North Ruimveldt Multilateral on the adjacent pitch.St Mary and Annandale Secondary clash at 12:50hrs on pitch one while New Campbellville meet Ann’s Grove on pitch two.Carmel Secondary School will also be in action from 13:40hrs against Uitvlugt Secondary with pitch two featuring President’s College and Marian Academy.Bishops’ High will play Golden Grove on pitch one from 14:30hrs while Kingstown will lock horns with St John’s College on pitch two.Tutorial play East Riumveldt and Queenstown Secondary take on St Stanislaus College on pitches one and two respectively, from 15:20hrs while the day’s proceedings will close when Dolphin Secondary and Tucville clash on pitch one at 16:10hrs. Brickdam Secondary will oppose Charlestown Secondary on pitch two.The tournament is also sponsored by Demerara Distillers Limited under the Pepsi brand and the Ministry of Public Health under the Chronic Diseases unit.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 7, 2014 at 12:38 am Contact David: [email protected] | @DBWilson2 Exhaustion had set in. With two games in three days, three in eight and four in 10, Syracuse had entered one of the most grueling stretches of its schedule. The emotional win against Duke was in the rear view. All the Orange had to do was outlast Notre Dame and it would survive the taxing stretch.C.J. Fair could feel it in his legs — or, rather, he couldn’t feel anything. Every time he left his feet for a jump shot, everything felt good, but nothing would fall.“You might think, what’s wrong with my shot? Is it not jumping enough? Or is my legs tired?” the forward said. “Because sometimes when your body’s tired you don’t really feel it during the game, but like other people can see you don’t jump enough in your shot. But to yourself, it’s like you shot regularly.”As Fair struggled against the Fighting Irish, so did SU. A game that No. 1 Syracuse should have been able to cruise through became yet another close contest in a season full of them. The Orange (22-0, 9-0 Atlantic Coast) will enter the Carrier Dome on Sunday for a 6 p.m. tipoff against Clemson (15-6, 6-3) after six days off, just enough time to gear up for another series of tests. The Tigers come to the Carrier Dome, but road games against No. 25 Pittsburgh, No. 11 Duke, Maryland and Florida State fill the final month of the regular-season schedule. At this stage of the season, weariness is a real issue.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I think it was fatigue,” SU guard Tyler Ennis said after the 61-55 win against the Fighting Irish on Monday. He didn’t blame an emotional letdown, but just the regular challenge of two games in 48 hours.“Mentally, we weren’t all there at some points, but we had enough to pull it out.”This week became one to regroup and recover. Fair needs to get his legs — and his jump shot — back. Ennis and Jerami Grant need a few days off to gather themselves and return to the form they had against the Blue Devils.Syracuse got Tuesday off and has made an effort to stay fresh even during the rapid-fire stretch of games.“After each practice you try to get in the ice bath, try to get some ice — just to keep your body refreshed,” Fair said. “But still, it takes a toll on you when you play a lot of games in a short amount of time.”The six days off brings more of the same.“Definitely just ice baths — anything,” Grant said. “Stretching a lot. Just trying to stay in shape throughout everything.”The style that Clemson plays, though, could make the days off obsolete. The Tigers slow the pace and clamp down on defense. It’s the same brand of basketball that so many lesser teams have used to scare the Orange this year. Miami (Fla.) and Boston College — two .500 or worse teams — kept the score in the 50s or lower to stay competitive with Syracuse earlier this season. Clemson ranks second in the nation in scoring defense and is another team that can batter SU and wear it down.UND does similar things, too. Syracuse drove the lane effectively against Duke, but couldn’t do that against the Irish. With only one day off, another physical team gave the Orange fits.“Notre Dame did what they do against us every year,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. “They take time off the clock and they move the ball.”Of course, Notre Dame also benefited from one of the worst games of Fair’s career. If the issue was fatigue, as he guessed it might have been, that shouldn’t plague him again on Sunday.The schedule only gets tougher from here, but with a full-strength Fair, Syracuse is in good shape.“I wasn’t getting enough lift from my legs on my jump shot. Every time I shot I thought it was good and then it was off,” Fair said. “I’ve just got to keep confidence and not change anything because I’ve made those shots before.” Comments
Published on September 24, 2017 at 9:16 pm Contact Brandon: [email protected] Syracuse earned plenty of power-play opportunities but, at first, struggled to convert them.After failing to capitalize on the first three power-play opportunities, Syracuse found the back of the net on two of its next three, propelling the Orange to a 2-1 exhibition win over the University of Ottawa on Sunday afternoon in Tennity Ice Pavilion.“We just started working on our power play a few days ago,” junior defender Allie Munroe said, “so it was just trial and error to finally get one through.”Ottawa goalie Maude Levesque-Ryan stonewalled both of Syracuse’s shots on its first power play and, later in the period, the Orange took three more shots, one on goal, and none found their way into the net. Early in the second period, they came up empty with three shots on another power play.Soon after Ottawa scored its only goal of the game, also a power play goal, with 4:17 to go in the second period, the Orange quickly found itself with another extra-player opportunity of its own.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“As the game went on,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said, “that practice started to pay off and early in the game started it to pay up, because we had some good looks as the game went on with the power play.”The Orange made the most of that chance as Munroe put a rocket past Levesque-Ryan to tie the game at one. With 12:34 left in the game, Syracuse found itself with yet another power play. Five Syracuse slap shots were consecutively blocked or went wide. Finally, escaping to the middle of the zone, Victoria Klimek found the top right corner of the net to give SU a 2-1 edge. It’s a work in progress, Klimek said, but that each shift brought the team closer to where it wanted to be.“I think when you get different people killing,” Flanagan added, “our kids just react a little bit better. When we do this in practice, our killers already know what the power play is going to do.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
The racing today is at Tramore. The first of a 7 race card goes to post at 4.10.